Tuesday 9 February 2016

Being a Bee!

One of the ways quilts have been made for Siblings Together is through one of the quilting bees started up just for that purpose.

The first one, the Siblings Together Quilting Bee, was started by Lynne Goldsworthy and though the membership has changed over the years we are still making at least one quilt every month for the charity.

I have been in it from the beginning and I love this bee and our lovely members as everyone seems so generous and supportive of each other.  Making quilts with these ladies really is a great experience.  

Here are some of the quilts we have made in the last year:





We use tutorials online or create our own to make large, simple blocks from stash.  I have started a page on this blog with links to tutorials we have used.  It will take a while to list them all but I hope to be adding to it.

Here is the block I was asking for in November:




Could it get any simpler?

Well I added a bit of extra work for my bee mates by asking them to add a square of wadding, backing fabric and asking for it to be quilted.

Here is the finished quilt



There is a second bee called Siblings Together Quilting Bee 2.   They are looking for a few new members if you would like to join them.

Alternately, I wondered if there were other generous people out there who would be able and willing to start other Siblings Together Bees.

Maybe you have heard about bees and never been in one before?  Here is your chance to try it out! 

Maria and I were thinking of trying out the idea of mini bees, set up for a shorter period (perhaps for just a few months), with fewer people, working together to make quilts for Siblings Together. The blocks will be simple and varied - it is a good opportunity to learn as you work for a great cause.  So if you want to know more, please add a comment below and we will be in touch. 

Please make sure we can contact you - leave an email in your comment if you are in any doubt please.






12 comments:

  1. Hi Nicky, those are some fab quilts! I would be interested in joining the existing bee, best wishes Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how obvious it is to contact me via my google+ page, you can contact me by email sallyannhat at aol dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I would be interested in joining a bee. Thanks Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to have your help ! But I don't have your email.as you are a no-reply blogger and there is no email address in your profile ! Please get in touch again and leave your email or conrptact me nickyeglinton@aol.com

      Delete
  4. Hi. I'd be interested in joining a bee but not sure how much of a commitment I'd need to make

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicky I would love to join a bee

    Thanks Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My email is jcrumbleholme@hotmail.com. Not sure if it will show up automatically

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blocks are coming in thick and fast now for my Class Challenge - on course for 4 quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be happy to make a block as part of a Bee. Linda on ashworth.linda1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can really recommend joining a ST bee. I signed up for the Siblings Together bee 2 last year and it's a great way to connect with other quilters and of course to contribute to a fantastic cause. I was initially a bit concerned, being new to quilting, I'd not have the experience but the blocks are chosen for being simple but effective. It also gives you a chance to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello..... I would like to join a mini bee. Could you e-mail me some information and block details etc and I will try and get involved. Thanks, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd be interested in a mini bee. I can't commit to a year long bee as i have mental health issues which can stop me quilting for months at a time but a mini bee would be good

    ReplyDelete